Back in March, I was able to travel to Costa Rica for the first time. I took a trip with The Ivy Brand, an adventure company based out of Minneapolis, Mn. We were going to be working at a local non-profit and exploring a lot of the beautiful sites.
During this two week trip, each day was filled with countless adventures. A small group of us went white water rafting, soaked in hidden local hot springs, jumped off rocks from a rope swing into a swimming hole, and took in so many ocean waves. Nothing seemed off limits in this tropical landscape. I immediately was inspired by the people, culture, and colors in this country.
Wanting to capture with fresh eyes these locations, I was constantly taking out my Holga film camera to document my findings. Of course I had to pull out my pen and sketchbook too. We made our way through La Fortuna, Lake Arenal, Tilaran, Playa Hermosa, Tamarindo, and everywhere in between.
Top Highlights from the trip included:
- Seeing howler monkeys for the first time, and yes they howl!
- Eating watermelon every day
- Night driving up a winding road to star gaze
- Taking salsa and bachata dance lessons
- Working at a local non-profit and painting their logo in the main building
- All the beautiful tiles, tapestries, and art
- Collecting shells along the beach
- Making new friends
Always grateful for traveling to new places and connecting with people. I had an amazing time and can’t wait to go back. :)